Saturday 21 July 2012

Crochet - yes please!

I know crochet has a fairly granny reputation.  But not in my book!  I love it.  I like that its a traditional craft and I like its lacy appearance.  I also like the fact that in crochet, its acceptable to use all the colours of the rainbow in one piece. 

I have an old crochet book which was published in 1972.  I love the old photos and can't help but have a giggle over the fashion of the day.  Some of its still cool today, but some, (ahem!) should probably stay back there in 1972.  Here's a selection...

 I think this little Miss would rather not be wearing the crochet jumpsuit...
 So cute...
 Mmmm.... I'd probably give it a go (wearing it, not making it!)...
 This one should stay in 1972!
 If we ever get a canal boat, I'm making this for Mr Tara... (good grief!)
Smart business attire...!  I also deem this one should stay in 1972... along with all other "business attire", but that's another story...
 These would look great in my house...
 For those just starting out, a handy crash course!
 No. 39.  My favourite - how serene and lovely she looks...
I just had to include this one.... did they really wear this back then?  Too many holes for my liking... I'm leaving it back there in 1972.

I still have some things which I made when I was a child (in the 1970's).  I made this bag around 1978 (when I was 8).  I now use it to store all my wool and crochet hooks (and knitting needles which I never really got the hang of)...
A granny square which I have displayed on a round table (also crocheted around 1978 - I was probably practising for the bag)...
 That table sits in this room, which I thought you might like to see...
My current crochet project - a blanket for our bed done in rows from a "how to" I found on the internet...  I have once again lost the crochet hook down the side of the sofa so currently work on this has stopped.  I'll dig it out some time this afternoon...
  A nice warm gigantic afghan square blanket which I love (made by my Auntie in NZ)...
Another piece I own - I can't imagine having the patience to ever achieve this kind of crochet status!!..
And just to bring you back to 2012... Mr Tara bought me this new ipad cover today - in lolly pink!  Thank you, I love it!!
I hope you are all enjoying this fine weekend...

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello...!