Friday 10 August 2012

Tribal Textile Friday...

Hello

It's Tribal Textile Friday here at Nomadic Tara.  Celebrating all things tribal and handmade, I thought I would show you some of my tribal textiles (there are many...). 

I do love all that is handmade - especially tribal fabrics as they are always bright and cheerful and the people who made them approached colour with reckless abandon.  That is something I am often guilty of... if you take into consideration that many of these photos are of my clothes!

First up is an embroidered purse from Chiang Mai, Thailand... 
 A collection of belts - Thai hilltribe and Indian mirror belts...
 Detail from the sleeve of my Hmong (Thailand/Laos) top
 Indian wall hanging from Gujarat...
 detail of the wall hanging... the mirror work on this is lovely
more detail...
Here is the complete hanging
 One of Nomadic Tara's creations made from Indian tribal fabric with Afghani tribal button...
 A tribal bag I bought in Chiang Mai from the Palung tribe...
 An Indian anklet...
 Detail of a Hmong waistcoat... (bright I know)
 Indian Kantha cushion with its sequined buddy...
 Thai hilltribe hanging from Chiang Mai market
 An Afghani rosette on an Indian table runner...
 Detail of Thai hilltribe embroidery (from my travels to Chiang Mai)
Waistcoat detail (Thai)
more waistcoat details...
An Indian skirt - probably my biggest show-stopper.  Only to be worn on days when you are ok with people stopping you in the supermarket to discuss the skirt!
Detail from a Hmong shoulder bag - old and worn but one of my favourites (but its sooo old its actually like toting a rag!)
 My kantha quilt - so soft and warm...
I love how on the kantha quilts (which are made from old saris) they unabashedly patch them, that it becomes a feature...
Well, I hope you enjoyed Tribal Textile Friday here at Nomadic Tara.  See, my world isn't all about doilies...!

Tara

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow what a tribal treat! Incedibaly bright and detailed works of art to look at and enjoy. I just adore all the colors and unique textures and the way you photographed them.
    Thanks for the joy Tara.
    B-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so pleased you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
    2. Your most welcome.
      xox Tribal Sis ;-P

      Delete

Say hello...!